The Holly Theatre has a long history in the town of Dahlonega. Built in 1946, and named after Mr. Holly Brannon its builder, the theatre was orginally used as a movie theatre. The first film shown was "The Bride Goes Wild" starring June Allyson. The building could seat 500 and the decor was very similar to the Fox Theatre in Atlanta - very rich brocade fabrics and colors.
The theatre remained in operation until the early 70s. The combination of movies at the NGCSU student center, new theaters in Gainesville contributed to the decline of the theatre as it closed its doors.
After years of standing silent, and in pretty bad condition, the theatre was patched up and pressed into service for the Gold Rush Days from the mid 70s to late 80s.
In 1990 the Dahlonega community began a dedicated restoration process of the Holly Theatre with the purpose of the theatre as a multipurpose community center.
Today, the Historic Holly Theatre is a lively source of entertainment - popular films light up the screen and actors keep the classics alive on the stage, all for a new generation of movie-fans and theatre patrons.
Historic Holly Theatre
69 West Main Streeet
Dahlonega, GA 30533